I’ve always had a love for mugs and since I don’t like tea
or coffee I have often found myself eating food out of mugs, similar to a bowl;
as I’m typing this I’m eating mac n’ cheese out of a Peach Valley mug. For me,
I love that mugs have handles and that mugs/bowls keep the contents hotter
longer since the food isn’t spread out, as it would be on a plate. I always had
the idea that if I was to open a restaurant/café I would serve everything in mugs
to add an interesting trait, in an effort to stand out among other places.
My target age
group for my costumer interviews was 13-30 year olds because I see this type of
business thriving in a college town environment.
I started by
asking everyone what their age was, how often they eat out, what their favorite
place was, a why they liked to eat there. This series of questions gave me a
sense of what they look for in a place to eat. Next, I explained what Satchels
was to those not familiar with it and proposed a scenario about having a
Satchels next to a chain pizza restaurant and asked which they were more likely
to visit and why. For my last question I was interested in learning where each
person would take someone that they haven’t seen in a long time for a casual
lunch or coffee and why. This question was targeted at identifying what type of
places each person saw has having casual environments.
Inserted below
is one video of all the audio clips from each interview. I sought out people between 13 and 30
that had an opinion of restaurants.
I think that there is an opportunity for my
idea to be successful. From the interviews, I’ve found that most people would
prefer a place with a good atmosphere, food, and service. For those who weren’t
familiar with Satchels, they said that they would be interested in trying it
because it was something different and that they were open to new experiences.
Overall, I found that people prefer unique places to chain restaurants when
given the choice. After the interviews some of the people asked me to explain
my idea and seemed interested in visiting a place like it. In general, I think
that as long as I adapted certain aspects of my idea to fit was the costumers’
want; I can see this being successful.
I learned that
interviewing costumers isn’t that hard. I targeted people that were eating,
that way I knew they didn’t have to be anywhere soon. Everyone I asked were
super nice about the whole thing. I had one girl that didn’t really provide any
helpful answers to my questions but it was easy to find someone else that did.
I found that interviewing in groups could be a good thing and a bad thing. My
first group interview was very positive but the second wasn’t, I think because
the first was a group of two and the second was a group of four. For my next
round of interviews I think I’m going to target groups of two because I think
it makes the interviewees feel less put on the spot.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who uses mugs as de facto bowls. I eat cereal out of a mug because (as you stated) it keeps the milk colder longer. (It's a pet peeve, finishing a bowl of cereal and having it be lukewarm by the end. Blech!)
ReplyDeleteI think your idea is brilliant. Yes, at first it seems a bit kitschy, but once you start thinking about the practicalities, there a definite appeal beyond the "fun factor" of eating food (or drinking!) out of a non-standard implement.
Great idea and, FYI, I'm 34 and I learned the cereal-mug thing from my dad, who's 71, so you might want to expand your age range. I think it's got potential way beyond what you think!
Hey Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteI think that you did a great job on this assignment. I really enjoyed reading about your idea. I actually have never thought about using a mug as a bowl for cereal or for anything other than tea or coffee. I will definitely try that out in the future. I think your interviews went really well and that you asked great questions in order to get a feel for what potential customers would be interested in. If you want to check out how my first round of interviews went, here is the link:
http://andreacdona.blogspot.com/2016/01/customer-interviews-no-1.html
Hey Caitlin, I really enjoyed reading about your idea and listening to the interviews. I think it is a great idea to want to create a restaurant that is different from the way chain restaurants work. This idea seems like something an entrepreneur would do. It also seems like most of the people you interviewed were interested in your questions, and the answers did seem to provide some great data and feedback. Overall, I think this is a great idea, and it seems like you were very comfortable interviewing people. I would personally definitely try a restaurant like the one you are describing in your idea. If you would like to see my first round of interviews, the link is below.
ReplyDeletehttp://luissoto93.blogspot.com/2016/01/customer-interview-no-1.html