For my “very short interview with an entrepreneur” I
interviewed Tracie Shannon, a family friend. Tracie is an animal intuitive who
has even appeared on the T.V. show The
Haunted in order to communicate with horses involved in a haunted barn. In
addition to being an animal intuitive, Tracie became an energy healer in 2005
and currently owns her own practice located in Lakeville, CT. Tracie is an entrepreneur because she took
what she loves and made a successful business out of it by identifying an
opening in the market. In recent years the demand for energy healers has
increased as reiki, a healing technique, has become more mainstream.
The following is a transcription of the interview:
Me: In your own words, what does it mean to be an
entrepreneur?
Tracie: To be an entrepreneur means I can take an idea,
dream, or passion and turn it into a reality. And, I create that reality in a
way that best suites me, my lifestyle and schedule allowing me to be more
present and available to my clients - both human and animal. It also means
being able to help people and animals in a way I never dreamed possible and
feeling the satisfaction of knowing my passion brought a sense of relief, joy,
and, at times, excitement and happiness to someone's life. It means I am
responsible for my schedule, communicating with clients - potential or
otherwise, my finances, marketing myself, introducing new products or
modalities. It means I am responsible for my own continuing education and
networking with others in my field to learn about new ways of keeping my
business current and attractive to current clients as well as potential
clients. It means taking responsibility for missed appointments,
miscommunications between clients and myself. To be an entrepreneur means
taking responsibility for what needs to be improved upon and/or for those parts
of the business, which no longer work. To be an entrepreneur means I am
afforded the opportunity to feel proud of my accomplishments, what I feel I
have contributed, and continue to contribute, to my community without the
feeling of obligation because, "It will be good for business." coming
from some "higher up". To be an entrepreneur means putting yourself
out there every day not knowing what will come of the results but enjoying the
process of finding out.
Me: What do you wish you had been taught in school before
setting out on your own path as an entrepreneur? Do you think an
entrepreneurship class would have been beneficial to take?
Tracie: I feel my business education provided me with the
fundamentals of becoming an entrepreneur.
Though I didn't become an entrepreneur until 12 years after
graduating college I think a lot of what I learned during those 12 years
further prepared me to become an entrepreneur. After college I attended
numerous self-improvement and self-empowerment workshops and seminars that were
very different from my business education. Those workshops and seminars added
to my experience of being an entrepreneur because they taught me about self-worth,
confidence, and the importance of believing in myself regardless of what others
thought or said about me and my work. But, if there one was specific class that
had been offered it would have been titled, "Do what you love to do and
you will never have to "work" another day in your life!"
Me: What’s one thing you wish you could have done
differently when you became an entrepreneur?
Tracie: I don't know if I would have done anything
differently. Everything happened exactly the way it was suppose to happen. Of
course, there were days where I wished I was making more money, had more
clients, different clients, differently locations, additional locations.... and
the list goes on. But, looking back I wouldn't change a thing. It all taught me
so much about myself and I had a lot to learn - and still do. There are always
improvements I can make and continue to make, but if I had changed one thing
all the other amazing things I experienced may never have happened.
No comments:
Post a Comment