January 23, 2016

Week 3 Reading Reflection

     In chapter 2 of Entrepreneurship: Theory, Process, and Practice, I was surprised to learn that there is a dark side to entrepreneurship. I was always aware of the risks that are involved in starting a business but I’ve never really looked at them as a dark side. However, after the chapter, I have come to see where the author is coming from. Entrepreneurship is about risk and “the higher the reward, the greater the risks the entrepreneur usually faces” (Kuratko 38). This statement alone led me to think that the author was drawling a strong parallel line between entrepreneurship and gambling; both involve similar risks and rewards.
     In this chapter I didn’t find any section to be particularly confusing. I thought that compared to the last chapter, Kuratko went into more detail when he introduced each topic which made it so that it was easy to follow along with.
     It would be interesting to know what Kuratko thinks about my comparison of entrepreneurship and gambling. I would assume that the dark side that he talks about is extremely similar to when a gambler becomes so involved in the act that he looses interest in everything around him, which for the entrepreneur would be hobbies and family, as mentioned in the chapter. I would also be interested in knowing which entrepreneurship style Kuratko thinks is the best. The four styles, illustrated on page 38, are each discussed but Kuratko never seems to state his own opinion of which one is best, similar to how he handled the micro and macro views of entrepreneurship in chapter 1.
     This chapter seemed very straightforward and for the most part offered data for the sections that were more opinion based, so to speak. With that said, there isn’t much of anything to disagree with. I know of a few successful entrepreneurs that don’t exhibit several of the characteristics that Kuratko suggest successful entrepreneurs demonstrate; however, those are only a few entrepreneurs out of millions so they are not the best representation of the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment