January 30, 2016

Week 4 Reading Reflection

     In chapter 5 of Entrepreneurship: Theory, Process, and Practice, I was surprised to learn all of the different types of innovation as well as everything that goes into the creative process. I always had an idea of what the creative process encompassed but seeing it divided into clear categories made me see how involved the process really is. I thought it was interesting to learn that only “2 to 10 percent [of people] use their creative potential” (Kuratko 139) because even though I assumed the number would be low, I didn’t expect it to be that low.
     I didn’t find any particular part to be confusing. This chapter seemed to be straightforward and mostly informative. Some parts were a little unclear in the beginning of the chapter but I think Kuratko cleared them up as the chapter progressed.
     I would be interested in knowing which hemisphere of the brain the author would consider to be more significant. I know from psychology classes that right side dominant people are generally considered more creative because they are good with the arts and languages; while, left side dominate people are more logical because they are stronger in math and decision making scenarios. Something else I would be interested in knowing is why is it so important to speed up the idea experience. Kuratko mentions, on page 132, six ways to speed of the idea experience but never goes into detail as to what the advantages are. I wonder if speeding up the experience compromises the idea itself because it isn’t allowed the time to form and undergo slow revisions.
     In the discussion about the creative process, I disagree with a couple of points. From above it should be clear that I disagree with the concept of speeding up the idea experience, mentioned in phase 3. Currently I don’t see what an individual would achieve from this; I can only see negatives. I also disagree with the suggestion of “[thinking] about the idea or project before falling asleep” (Kuratko 132). Many times I have great ideas before I fall asleep, which supports Kuratko’s suggestion; however, I almost always forget my idea by the time I wake up. This may be something that only happens to me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment