I spent the majority of the weekend in the
library studying for a couple of exams that I have later in the week so I
decided to approach people that were studying in the basement of Marston or
outside of Marston. I approached people that were studying for their midterms as
well and seemed to be engrossed in their notes. When I went up to people I
started the conversation by saying “Hey. What are you studying for?” or “How’s
it going” after they answered I asked if they wanted a dollar, kind of for good
luck on their midterms.
Out of five attempts, I thought I would be
able to give away three dollars. I thought that my reason for giving away the
money seemed kind and I thought that people would respond in a positive way and
take my money. After approaching five people, four out of the five people took
the dollar that I offered them. I didn’t find the number to be surprising
because of how and where I approached them. Even though I predicted the wrong
number of people I was still close. I think that more people took my money than
excepted because I offered them a break from studying, which a lot of people
generally welcome, by giving them a dollar they could go get something to eat
or drink from the vending machine. Here’s a video of 2 people I approached outside
of the library, since it was quieter.
Overall, I understand what the point of
the exercise was but a part of me hoped that no one would take my money so that
I wouldn’t have to give it away. However, the exercise proved to be easier than
expected and people were generally willing to take my money. I assumed that
people whom were studying wouldn’t want to be bothered and would just wave me
off but that proved to be wrong when people were more than happy to talk to me
instead of studying.
Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteExcellent work. I also found it easier than expected to give away the dollars. I like your approach which was a bit different from mine. You softened them up a bit whereas I went for a more direct approach just asking if they would take a dollar for nothing in exchange. I really didn't want to give away my money either but it was just five bucks so I didn't fret it too much. Here is a link to my effort http://guntotinghippie.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteGood job on your free money videos. It was nice the way you turned your project into a reward for people studying for their mid terms. I just held out the dollar and asked if people wanted it. I didn't like or understand this project. I did it, but very begrudgingly. I think the professor bragged at one time that we have close to 5000 students in our class because of on campus and online students. If everyone just gave away $5 that's $25,000. I personally think that money could have been used towards a much better purpose. First idea of the top of my head, a class investment to fund the most popular business idea. I'd rather see my money go towards that versus a random stranger.
Check out my post if you get the chance.
http://dcbostwick.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money-week-7.html