February 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1

     I don’t currently have any experience in the food industry, which is a disadvantage for me. If we’re being completely honest, I’m the last person that should be opening a café because I don’t like coffee or tea and the only times I really visit cafes is when my friends suggest them as a place to meet up. However, even in the small amount of time that I’ve spent in cafes I’ve been able to identify my opportunity. My solution revolves around the problem of my food always getting cold too soon and my experience of eating a large portion of my meals out of mugs and bowls. In regards to the food itself, my limited cooking experience should be enough in the initial start of the café.
     My aspiration for Mugged is to become a unique café that provides a small town feel, even in a larger city like Gainesville. I want it to become a place where people can go to have lunch or a cup of coffee and just forget about everything else going on, if only for a couple of minutes. If I were to start the business I don’t see myself playing a large role in the company long turn. I can see myself investing a couple of years, initially, into the business to make sure that everything is running smoothly and eventually hire someone to manage the store while I pursue my true interests. However, once I retire from my profession, I could see myself taking on a larger role in the store by doing something simple like just walking around and talking with costumers.
     With Mugged, I’m offering a unique twist on a traditional café where everything will be served in mugs. Since everything will be served in mugs, the food will remain cold or hot longer for a greater period of time; which will allow people to have longer conversations before their food becomes unappealing to eat.
     Mugged is targeted at people between the ages of 13 and 50 who enjoy eating at cafes, with a specific focus on college students. I want to provide a place that’s great to grab lunch with friends but also a place where you can quietly enjoy a good book as you drink your coffee. Above all, I want Mugged to embody the atmosphere of a small town café as soon as you step in the doors. With diverse food and drink options, Mugged should appeal to anyone that likes to eat or drink.   
     The prices at Mugged are expected to be extremely comparable to other coffee shops around the Gainesville area. When we boil it down to the reason I want to serve everything in mugs, it’s because I like to eat out of mugs and to a certain extent it will keep your food warmer longer. At Mugged people aren’t paying for a revolutionary technology that will change how they do things, they’re paying for good food served in a unique way as they enjoy a relaxing atmosphere. Mugged provides them a warm and inviting place to visit instead of a sleek and cold atmosphere that you find in most chain coffee shops.
     The fact that everything will be served in mugs sets my café apart from any other cafes that I’ve ever heard of. However, people aren’t going to visit Mugged just to eat food out of a mug, they’re going to visit Mugged for the comfort food and small town atmosphere which isn’t currently being offered by many cafes in the Gainesville area. I want Mugged to be a well-known place in Gainesville where if someone is passing through town they just have to stop and try it.
     I think all of the elements fit together really well, which really comes down to the fact that I’m not doing anything drastically different from a traditional café, I’m only adding one small twist. My weakest point at the present time is “why do they care” because it’s hard to say through my previous interviews that I’ve conducted thus far.

5 comments:

  1. This seems like a really cool idea! I would go to your café since I’m always open to trying new places. I think your target audience for this product would be college-aged students, specifically those who like new and hipster like places to hang out and eat at. The consistency of having everything served in mugs is both cool and unique! Check out my blog about a product that provides more outlets in Marston. http://ent3003tb.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I think that you should definitely try to bring in and focus as much as possible on college students as they are the ones that are most likely to try out something new (such as a new cafe).

    While I do believe that your idea has a unique aspect to it that could attract many people, I do think that the nature of the business will require you to be more involved than you may want to. I'm not sure what you're studying, but businesses in the food-industry usually take a lot of time to get up and running, and you probably won't have anyone to help you at the beginning (both in the kitchen and in promoting the business). I mention this because you stated that you wouldn't want to be directly working on it at the beginning. Either way, just something to think about.

    Checkout my blog! I talk about a product that focuses on giving college students the ability to create job postings for other students to help out with for cash!

    http://justslothin.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a great idea! I always seem to enjoy my food less towards the end because it gets cold, but this could be the solution. I do not think that you have to be an expert in the business to find a problem and come up with a solution! If you would like to check out my idea feel free! http://dillondunn.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1-dillon-dunn.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caitlin,

    Im glad you've decided to continue your hopes of opening up a coffee shop de spite your lack of knowledge in the field. I would imagine a lot of people start off this way. The fact that you've been exposed to similar businesses and truly enjoy them is good enough. Im sure that you will be able to create the atmosphere you desire through amazing customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caitlin! I really enjoyed your post and think you have a good idea. The reality of restaurants today is that most of them fail, this is, in my opinion, due to lack of advertising and offering a superior product for customers. I think that if you were to make your restaurant to double as a small library and a small restaurant it would be a lot more successful. This would allow customers to come and hangout and get some work done but also provide them with some warm food. A full meal in a mug wouldn't make sense so they could order a small snack to keep them going. If you have some time be sure to check out my blog! http://biglilcut.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete