1.
Obesity
- Obesity
extends beyond just affecting the individual person. The number of obese
individuals has increased greatly in the last couple years and will continue to
increase unless something is done. We need to create an environment where the
easy meal choice can be a healthy meal choice. Obesity currently cost billions
due to the loss of productivity and if we have any chance of decreasing this
number, people need to become more aware of healthy alternatives.
2.
Natural Resource Depletion
- In the last
decade or so we’ve seen a dramatic decrease in available resources. As it
stands now, unless we make some changes, we will run out of resources like
water and oil. To help combat the depletion we need to help conserve trees, and
make conscious efforts to reduce pollution and electrical use.
3.
Deforestation
- Forests
produce the air we breathe and it’s estimated that over 15 million acres of
forests are destroyed each year. With the decrease in forests we experience
increased carbon dioxide and loss of specie habitats. To help with this we need
to make an effort to plant more trees, some organizations already exist that
are devoted to planting trees.
4.
Access to clean drinking water
- We see this
problem more in under-developed countries but as resources are becoming
depleted, I would assume that this problem could spread into more developed
countries. For example, Michigan has recently experienced contamination of
their water and as a result shipments of bottled water have been sent to
residents. In my opinion, the key to increasing access to clean water is
education. In most cases we as humans can be blamed for the contamination of
the water and the only way I see to solve this is through the education of the
effects of our actions.
5.
Spread Of Infectious Disease
-We’ve seen an
increase in diseases in the past couple years and I expect the number to
continue to increase. I think one way to solve this is through education and
vaccination. It’s understandable that some parents are concerned about
vaccinating their children and I think the best way to help them is by
educating them.
6.
International Terrorism
- Terrorism has
increased in the last decade and a half with an exceptional increase in the
last couple years. In my opinion the best way to help decrease terrorism is to
get to the root of the problem. I think that everybody does something for a
reason and if we can understand the motivation behind some of the recent actions
that have taken place I think that we can start to change things.
7.
Poverty
-Poverty is present
across the entire world with large populations in under-developed countries. To
help decrease poverty we have to look toward people that have experienced
poverty first-hand to find a solution. I think that solving poverty is more
complicated than just throwing money toward it. In my opinion, the only way to
solve poverty is to have people who truly understand what living in poverty
means to help formulate a solution.
8.
Unemployment
-The unemployment
rate has fluctuated in the past couple years with only a slight decrease
apparent. The problem that I see a lot in my hometown is that businesses are
not creating new jobs; they are simply building a new store and transferring
everybody. The solution is that there needs to be more jobs and the question is
how do we create more jobs? I think one way is to expand small businesses.
There are millions of small businesses across the globe and if we can increase
the demand for their products than (hopefully) the small businesses will start
to hire more people to fulfill the demands.
9.
Intolerance
- Intolerance
encompasses a lot of different areas including religion, sexuality, and race. In
the past decade we’ve made large strides toward tolerance but it seems in the
last couple years we’ve taken steps backwards. To solve this I think it really
depends on the next generation, most people in this generation already have set
views on certain people and I think it would be a waste of time to try and
change their views when we can instead focus on future generations.
10.
Money
- Our society has become more materialistic in the past couple
of decades and I think in general it’s become unhappier. Today’s world is all
about status and having “things”. To solve this we need to start focusing back
on intangible assets and relationships. Somewhere along the way we lost focus
of what was truly meaningful and became a society where we had to have to most
stuff and people had viewed someone as better if they had more money.
![]() |
| http://katyagreer.tumblr.com/post/85492367444/perfect-materialistic-moments-freedom |

Good afternoon Caitlin, thanks for sharing. I think what you said in #8 is the spirit of our course! From what I hear, and I work with small business owners everyday, it's very difficult to run a business in today's environment as any sort of profit motive gets demonized. The unemployment rate has gone down since the recession but many people tell me that a lot of job seekers simply exited the workforce or have taken jobs for less money. I hope for all of us that this gets turned around. The first chapter in our book talked about the importance of entrepreneurship all throughout history. I hope a path is laid that encourages it instead of making it impossible. Robert Winter http://rustywinter.com/worlds-biggest-problems-week-3-ent3003/
ReplyDeleteI found your post very interesting and very different then mine. Many of your issues did not even cross my mind for the biggest issues but thinking back I can see how they are very important. For example deforestation did not even cross my mind as one of the biggest issues we have. Good job!
ReplyDeleteYou can check out the issues I thought to be the biggest here: http://ent3003blog.blogspot.com/2016/01/worlds-biggest-problems-week-three.html