April 13, 2016

Google Gold


     To reach search engine optimization I tried to have blog posts of an optimum length and have they posted on a regular basis. Other than that I didn’t really have a strategy to be one of Google’s top results because I kind of assumed that after a couple of posts my blog would show up on the first page. However, I learned through this exercise that my name is very common, both my first and my last, so when I searched my name I came up with the same two people; Caitlin Goss, a lawyer in Queensland, and Wayne Goss, a makeup artist on YouTube.
     I can’t really say that I had any keywords that I used in the blog. I mainly used the labels required on each post. However, once I developed a name for my business I began using the name a lot in my post but even then “Mugged” is a common word that doesn’t really stick out as a keyword.
     Other than YouTube, I didn’t use any other social media platforms for my blog because I’m just not a big user of social media. On the videos uploaded to YouTube I imagine that I got a couple of views from people not in the class, perhaps people trying to create their own elevator pitch. However, I didn’t have a link in my videos that would direct the people to my blog so I can’t say that YouTube increased the popularity of my blog.
     My most viral post was Customer Interviews No. 1 with 42 views. For this particular post, I published it the Saturday before it was due which allowed people to look at it and give them an idea of what to do for their own post, especially because it was the first round of interviews.
     I tried a couple of different keywords that I thought would have my blog listed on the first page but unfortunately none of them worked until I was super specific. I started of general with “Caitlin Goss Blog” which didn’t list me on any of the twenty-four pages. “Caitlin Goss ENT Blog” narrowed the results but I still failed to show up on one of the eleven pages. I was finally able to show up on the first page, the only page of results, when I searched “Caitlin Goss Ent3003 Blog” but even then I was the third of seven results. However, I’ve found that the more I search “Caitlin Goss Ent3003 Blog” the further up the list I move.

2 comments:

  1. I am not that avid of a social media user either, so I didn’t really use social media for search engine optimization. My blog didn’t show up on any Google searches I did, however, even when typing my name, first and last, I did come across other blogs from this course. If you would like to check out my Google gold, or lack thereof, visit http://mrufent.blogspot.com/2016/04/google-gold.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caitlin,
    Really good job on your blog post. I also had the issue with not having my blog show up after my first web searches. It appears search engine optimization is not as easy as most people would believe. I too did not really use social media to advertise my blog. You did top my most viewed blog though by about 12 view. Keep up the good work and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete